© 2021 KLCC

136 W 8th Ave
Eugene OR 97401

Contact Us

FCC Applications
Oregon's Willamette Valley seen from Eugene
NPR for Oregonians
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

George Atiyeh’s death in fires confirmed by family, progress made on fire-damaged road funding

George and Hillary Atiyeh and their dog.
George and Hillary Atiyeh and their dog.

Oregon icon and environmental activist George Atiyeh died in the Beachie Creek Fire. His family confirmed the death in a Facebook post on Thursday.

“Although we are saddened that this was the final outcome, we are thankful to finally have closure,” wrote his daughter, Aniese Mitchell. “We appreciate all the love and support from family, friends and community.” She asked that donations in his honor be directed to the Opal Creek Ancient Forest Center.

Atiyeh was a miner-turned-logger-turned-environmentalist, who grew up exploring the woods of Opal Creek, where his family ran a mining operation. When it became clear that the old-growth forests around Opal Creek were being considered for logging, Atiyeh fought back, using what he described as legal and not-so-legal tactics to save the forest. It earned him few friends and made him many enemies in the logging communities of the Santiam Canyon, but Atiyeh did not stop.

When it became clear that one man could not save Opal Creek on his own, Atiyeh began flying politicians and journalists over the forests and clear-cut patches, providing a birds-eye view of the toll logging had taken on Oregon’s old growth forests. Those trips were credited with helping to change the tide of public opinion in favor of the forests.

Atiyeh succeeded, and today old growth forests, streams and waterfalls of the 20,454-acre Opal Creek Wilderness have become as iconic as Atiyeh himself. His remains were found on his property.

You can read more about Atiyeh’s life here, and listen to the story in Atiyeh’s own words in a conversation with Dave Miller on OPB’s “Think Out Loud.”

U.S. Rep. Peter DeFazio, a Springfield Democrat, announced Friday that the Oregon Department of Transportation will receive nearly $8 million in federal disaster funding.

Several of Oregon’s Cascade highways were badly damaged during an unprecedented fire event following a Labor Day windstorm. The fires burned vegetation holding rocks in place, sending them crashing into the roads. The Oregon Department of Transportation has been working to remove small slides, downed trees, and rockfall for the last two weeks.

After a fire, the understory and root structures that hold surface soil in place are gone. Small and large bits of soil and debris called “dry ravel” slowly move downhill, filling up creek beds and runoffs. Those runoffs eventually lead to the same canyons Oregon’s highways follow through the mountains.

Several storms have brought inches of rain and gusty winds to burned areas, further complicating cleanup. These highways pass through steep canyons and are already prone to landslides and rockfall during the rainy season. Fire has only made that worse. High winds continue to bring down trees and cause small rock and landslides along the highways. ODOT officials expect that to continue even after roads are opened. They expect travelers will experience delays and temporary closures for months to years as more debris is freed by rain and time.

There are eight major routes over Oregon’s Cascade Mountains. Five of them were seriously impacted by fires. Of the damaged roads only Highway 138, which traverses the Cascades near Roseburg and Crater Lake National Park, is open. Conditions on the road are still dangerous. Officials are asking travelers to stay in their car, stay moving, and to be prepared to find unexpected debris blocking the roads. Since so many major routes are closed, the others are congested and travel is slow.

This story will be updated.

Copyright 2020 Oregon Public Broadcasting