"Don't Give A Dog A Bone" And Other Thanksgiving Pointers For Pups

Nov 25, 2020

As folks prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving this year, veterinarians remind us the holiday dinner table may contain hazards for our canine companions.

As grateful as you may be to have your dog as company, vets warn against feeding them fatty table scraps. This can cause gastrointestinal upset. And mind those poultry and ham bones! 

Katie Fisher, CVT rewards a new patient with a treat after their first set of vaccines.
Credit The Veterinary Hospital

Dr. Sarah Yamada works at The Veterinary Hospital in Eugene.

“I’ve seen several dogs come into the emergency room, who’ve ingested a bone and it makes it all the way through the intestine and then gets stuck in the rectum," she said. "It’s an easy fix. You sedate them and remove it but it could be a bill people aren’t anticipating.”

Dr. Sarah Yamada with her two cats Max and Franklin.
Credit Nadia Joyce Photography

Yamada said onions, chocolate, grapes and raisins can all be toxic to dogs. She reminds most clinics are closed on Thanksgiving so a pet emergency will require a trip to the 24-hour veterinary hospital--where wait times are sure to be long.

Dr. Yamada consults with Dr. Johnson and Dr. Berman for an emergency surgery. Foreign body obstructions often require surgical intervention and can be caused by holiday items like turkey & ham bones.
Credit The Veterinary Hospital

The Veterinary Hospital is located at 175 Silver Ln, Eugene, OR 97404. They will be closed on Thanksgiving but the Emergency Veterinary Hospital at 103 Q Street in Springfield is open 24-hours.
Credit Nadia Joyce Photography