That smoke you’re seeing and probably smelling over Eugene-Springfield right now? It’s not a wildfire – just a prescribed burn at Mount Pisgah.
Lane County Parks is conducting a prescribed ecological burn at the Howard Buford Recreation Area all day. It’s part of an effort to enhance prairie and oak savannah habitats in the park.
Lane County Parks have conducted more than a dozen prescribed burns at Pisgah since 1999.
Visitors to the park should be aware of smoky conditions and not be alarmed by the presence of fire crews.
The following trails are closed today:
South Bottomlands Closures:
· Meadow Road south of the Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) powerline (compost yard)
· Quarry Road Trail 5 south of the BPA powerline (south of the water garden)
· Quarry Road Trail 5 at the junction with trail 3 (east side of the park - adjacent to Buckbrush Creek)
· The East trailhead parking lot will be closed on the day of the burn
· The eastern portions of trails 2, 4, and 6 will be closed (east of Trail 46).
· Trail 3 will be closed east of Trail 56
Spring Box Closures:
· The northern part of the Spring Box management unit and trails north of the horse arena in the North Bottomlands will be closed