University District Hospital Remains On Partial Lock Down In Reponse To Patient's Threats

Sep 17, 2019

PeaceHealth Medical Center, University District in downtown Eugene remains on a “modified lock down” status after a patient threatened staff on Tuesday morning. Hospital officials say access restrictions will stay in effect through the duration of investigations.

This story has been updated. 3:45pm Wednesday, September 18, 2019

As of Wednesday afternoon-- access to the hospital campus remains limited to the Emergency Department entrance on Hilyard Street (after 8 pm) or (between 6 am and 8 pm) the first and third floor level entry of the clinic building across the street.

Hospital officials say patients, visitors and employees may request security escorts between buildings or to parking garages.

University of Oregon police announced today the security measures on the hospital campus “continue to be a choice to exercise caution made by the PeaceHealth administration, rather than at the direction of law enforcement.”

This story will be updated.

At about 10:30 Tuesday morning, the hospital began restricting access and boosted security at entrances. 

PeaceHealth University District hospital emergency entrance has security access.
Credit Tiffany Eckert

PeaceHealth spokeswoman Marcy Marshall says the lock down action was taken to protect caregivers and patients.

“You know we’re just waiting to hear the status of the whereabouts of this individual,” Marshall said. “You know we have information, the police have information on this individual so they know who they’re looking for.”

Marshall says caregivers already in hospital have been advised to “stay put as best they can.” She says caregivers have been asked to report to work at their scheduled times. Until the lockdown ends, staff and patients will received security escorts.

View from PeaceHealth Behavioral Health parking lot Tuesday evening. Private security surrounds the University District hospital.
Credit Tiffany Eckert