Forest Officials Announce Road, Trail, And Campground Closures Near Terwilliger Fire
Willamette National Forest officials say numerous campgrounds, trails, roads, and recreation sites have been closed off in the vicinity of the Terwilliger Fire.
In a written statement, Forest Supervisor Tracy Beck says the highest responsibility “must be visitor and firefighter safety.”
Since reported Sunday, the Terwilliger Fire – roughly 60 miles east of Eugene-Springfield – has rapidly grown. At last check, it was uncontained and had burned 125 acres.
Exceptionally dry conditions, high fire danger, and unpredictable fire behavior have prompted the closures.
The closures will allow firefighters better and safer accessibility. Expected weather conditions and the already dry forest area could create further expansion of the fire. Further closures are possible.
From Hwy 126, the closure begins where Forest Service Road 19 intersects with Forest Service Road 1900-408 and continues south to Rebel Trailhead.
In a press release issued Tuesday night, the Willamette Forest Service declared the following closures:
Closed Campgrounds (6)
· Hard Rock Campground
· French Pete Campground
· Cougar Crossing Campground
· Sunnyside Campground
· Slide Creek Campground
Closed Recreation Sites (3)
· Indian Ridge Lookout
· Terwilliger Hot Springs
· Echo Day Use and Boat Launch
Closed Trails (18)
• French Pete Trail #3311
• Bear Flat Trail #3301
• Quaking Aspen Trail #3332
• Lowder Mountain Trail #3329
• Olallie Mountain Trail #4100
• Walker Creek Trail #3330
• East Fork Trail #3308
• Indian Ridge Trail #3315
• Rider Creek Trail #3319
• French Pete Trailhead
• Upper Lowder Mountain Trailhead
• Upper East Fork Trailhead
• Lower East Fork/Lower Echo Trailhead
• Echo Trailhead
• O'Leary / Castle Rock Trailhead
• Lowder Mountain Trailhead
• Indian Ridge North (Upper) Trailhead
• Indian Ridge South (Lower) Trailhead
Closed Forest Service Roads (FSR) (10)
• Sections of FSR 1900
• Sections of FSR 2618
• Sections of FSR 1927
• FSR 1900-408
• FSR 1900-410
• FSR 1980
• FSR 1985
• FSR 1986
• Sections of FSR 1993
• FSR 1994
Sources below are available to stay up-to-date on the Terwilliger Fire and current fire restrictions.
• Closure area map and details: https://go.usa.gov/xUzQC
• Terwilliger Fire information line: (541) 822.7259
• InciWeb: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6160
• Fire information and current fire restrictions: https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/willamette/fire
Copyright 2018, KLCC.