4J Serves Meals Despite Teacher Walkout
Despite a teacher walkout closing schools Wednesday, the Eugene 4J district will still provide meals for students.
Many students depend on the meals they receive at school. Sometimes it’s the only food they have all day.
Breakfast and lunch will be served at 8 schools throughout the district from 8-9 and noon to one.
- Madison Middle School, 875 Wilkes Dr.
- Churchill High School, 1850 Bailey Hill Rd.
- Chávez Elementary School, 1510 W. 14th Ave.
- South Eugene High School, 400 E. 19th Ave.
- Spencer Butte Middle School, 500 E. 43rd Ave.
- Sheldon High School, 2455 Willakenzie Rd.
- Cal Young Middle School, 2555 Gilham Rd.
4J board member Jim Torrey says 45 percent of the district’s students qualify for free and reduced lunch.
“There is nothing more important. We want to make sure these kids get something to eat,” Torrey said.
There is no requirement to participate, but transportation will not be provided. Torrey says if a child shows up, they will not be turned away.