"Don't Give A Dog A Bone" And Other Thanksgiving Pointers For Pups
As folks prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving this year, veterinarians remind us the holiday dinner table may contain hazards for our canine companions.
As grateful as you may be to have your dog as company, vets warn against feeding them fatty table scraps. This can cause gastrointestinal upset. And mind those poultry and ham bones!
Dr. Sarah Yamada works at The Veterinary Hospital in Eugene.
“I’ve seen several dogs come into the emergency room, who’ve ingested a bone and it makes it all the way through the intestine and then gets stuck in the rectum," she said. "It’s an easy fix. You sedate them and remove it but it could be a bill people aren’t anticipating.”
Yamada said onions, chocolate, grapes and raisins can all be toxic to dogs. She reminds most clinics are closed on Thanksgiving so a pet emergency will require a trip to the 24-hour veterinary hospital--where wait times are sure to be long.