© 2024 KLCC

136 W 8th Ave
Eugene OR 97401

Contact Us

FCC Applications
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Eugene PD say wild night of gunfire, high-speed chase ends with surrender

Eugene Police Chief Chris Skinner stands in front of a banner that reads "Eugene Police."
Eugene PD video
Eugene Police Chief Chris Skinner speaks to the media on Friday, Jan. 27.

Eugene police say a 31-year-old man led officers on a high-speed chase and fired a gun at them before ultimately surrendering at a rural house early this morning.

The incident began after 11 p.m. Thursday when an officer pulled the man over in west Eugene.

Police Chief Chris Skinner said the driver rammed the patrol car with his vehicle and then took off, shooting through the window of his pickup truck at the pursuing officer.

The driver, along with a female companion, entered a rural home on Fox Hollow Road south of Eugene. The residents of the house fled unharmed. An hours-long standoff followed.

“The two individuals occupied the house," Skinner said during a Friday morning press conference at Eugene Police headquarters. "They barricaded themselves in the house. There was some exchange of gunfire out of the windows.”

Skinner said police used chemical munitions after crisis negotiations were unproductive. The man eventually surrendered without further incident, and indicated his companion inside the house was experiencing a medical emergency. Officers then entered the house and gave medical aid to the female suspect, who police say appeared to have overdosed on drugs.

Skinner said no officers were injured during the incident and that the two suspects were not injured by any police action.

"I see this as being an incredibly fortunate and lucky set of circumstances that we didn't have any officers hurt, subjects hurt, or homeowners hurt," said Skinner. "We had a lot of gunfire and it could have gone a completely different direction."

The male suspect, Chet Raymond of Eugene, is in Lane County Jail pending charges. Skinner said that as of Friday morning, the female suspect, who police did not name, remained in the hospital.

Chris Lehman has been reporting on Oregon issues since 2006. He joined the KLCC news department in December 2018 and became News Director in March 2023. Chris was born and raised in Pennsylvania, and graduated from Temple University with a degree in journalism. His public broadcasting career includes stops in Louisiana and Illinois. Chris has filed for national programs including “Morning Edition” and “All Things Considered.”