Wyden Looks To Bolster Gun Background Checks And Storage Safety
Gun safety and background checks are high on Oregon Senator Ron Wyden’s agenda, as he kicks off another series of virtual town halls today.
The Oregon Democrat is a co-sponsor of Connecticut Senator Chris Murphy’s “Background Check Expansion Act”, introduced earlier this month.
“That would make sure that 25% of current gun sales that are now conducted without any background checks would get those," Wyden told KLCC.
"And then I strongly support safe gun storage; close to 20% of all gun injuries in our nation occur because of the high rate of improperly stored guns in homes.”
Wyden has also introduced legislation to close a loophole allowing gun sales if a background check isn’t done in 72 hours, even if the buyer is prohibited from purchasing a gun.
Wyden's virtual town hall schedule:
· Clackamas County, Noon, Monday, March 29 link to watch
· Linn County, 3 pm, Thursday, April 1 link to watch
· Lincoln County, 10:30 am, Friday, April 2 link to watch
· Tillamook County, 3 pm, Friday, April 2 link to watch
· Hood River County, 12:30 pm, Saturday, April 3 link to watch
· Jefferson County, 10:30 am, Monday, April 5 link to watch
· Deschutes County, 5:30 pm, Monday, April 5 link to watch
· Klamath and Lake counties, 2 pm, Tuesday, April 6 link to watch
· Josephine County, 1 pm, Wednesday, April 7 link to watch
· Polk County, 2 pm, Thursday, April 8 link to watch
Wyden's press office says for those Oregonians in those counties wishing to submit questions for the senator, to use this link.
Copyright 2021, KLCC.