With summer in full swing and students on vacation, Lane Transit District is preparing for a potential increase in passengers during the pandemic. But LTD is reminding residents to only take essential trips.
According to a press release, LTD is asking people to only use the bus service to take trips to work, doctor’s appointments, grocery shopping and other important locations.
LTD general manager Aurora Jackson wrote they are working to limit exposure to COVID-19.
“We are beginning this Oregon summer like no other in history,” wrote Jackson. “Our COVID-19 precautionary reminders are another step in LTD’s health first approach to keep bus operators and passengers healthy and safe during the pandemic.”
Passengers and employees are asked to wear face coverings over their nose and mouth, wash their hands frequently, and stay home if they are sick. LTD employees will continue to have their temperatures taken each day before starting work, and are sent home if they are sick.
LTD has also implemented the following COVID-19 protocols:
· Buses are cleaned nightly.
· Employees regularly clean buses throughout the day at the Eugene and Springfield stations.
· Passengers are required to enter and exit from the rear door of the bus. Passengers who need a lift or assistance entering and exiting the bus can use the front door.
· Based on social distancing requirements, LTD limits its 40-foot buses to 20 passengers and 60-foot buses to 30 passengers, which normally carries roughly 50 and 80 passengers.
· Socially distance by staying six-feet away from other passengers.
Additionally, LTD asks passengers to follow health guidelines provided by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. This includes avoiding close contact with people who are sick; not touching your eyes, nose, and mouth; cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash; and clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
The bus will also continue to be free and operate on a reduced level of service for the foreseeable future.
Ahead of July 4, LTD announced they will not operate buses or their RideSource paratransit service in observance of the holiday. The LTD Customer Service Center will also be closed.
LTD’s adjusted COVID-19 bus schedules and RideSource service will resume on Sunday, July 5. The Eugene Customer Service Center will reopen for calls on Monday.