Toxic Poinsettias, Rigid Ribbons Not The Cat's Meow Over Holidays
According to ownership statistics published by the Washington Post, there are more pet cats than dogs in the U.S. If you’re a feline fan, here are some warnings about holiday hazards over this “shut in” season.
Meeeow! If you have a cat, you know they can NOT resist a string.
“Ribbon ingestion. You get some vomiting but the major concern there is linear foreign bodies- where the ribbon gets stuck in the intestine and kind of saws through,” she said. “And that can be very serious and require surgery.”
Yamada also warns about toxic exposure to lilies. “And other houseplants that people get during the holidays-- like Poinsettias,” she said. “Poinsettias are toxic to cats.”
Yamada said even pine needles can sicken a kitty. To be safe, she suggests to just keep all plants, ornaments and wrapping materials out of the cat’s grasp.
Meeeoww mic drop.